As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Keto unstuffed cabbage rolls are an easier low carb version of the traditional stuffed cabbage rolls we are used to. This can serve as a quick lunch or dinner and freezes very well for meal prep. Learn how to mage this one pot keto cabbage recipe in less than 30 mins.
Keto Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Unstuffed Cabbage rolls is a ground beef, cabbage and rice recipe that is traditionally made in one skillet or pot.
It is made by skipping the cabbage stuffing and baking part of stuffed cabbage rolls and instead is made on the stove top and without needing to roll the ground beef and rice in cabbage.
How do you make Unstuffed Cabbage Keto?
Very good question I must say, since we all know traditionally Stuffed and Unstuffed Cabbage rolls contain rice and rice isn’t Keto friendly and definitely not the best choice on a lower carb diet!
It’s really as easy as that. So even if you are thinking of making it as a soup, roll or casserole any of the above listed rice alternatives will suffice.
Ingredients needed to make Unstuffed Cabbage.
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce
- Spice and herb blend
How to make Keto/low carb Unstuffed Cabbage rolls with step by step photos
Pic 1-3; Brown the beef. Add onions
Pic 4-6; Add garlic, spice blend and tomato sauce
Pic 5-9; Cook sauce for a few minutes. Stir in the chopped cabbage, simmer on low till desired texture. Serve immediately or let cool to store. See storage instructions below.
Is Cabbage Keto? How many carbs are in cabbage?
Just like all other foods, you can calculate the net carbs in cabbage which happens to be ....,, if you are curious on how to figure out the net carbs in any recipe, check out my guide. It works you through how to calculate net carbs with or without a net carbs calculator.
Back to the carbs in cabbage. For this recipe, I used green cabbage. A cup of chopped raw cabbage has a total carb of 5g and a net carb of 2.8g while a cup of raw shredded cabbage has a Total carb of 4.1g and a net carb of 2.3g. A cup of cooked cabbage, contains a Total carb of 6.7g and net carb of 2.9g
Make ahead instructions and how to store.
Unstuffed cabbage can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it for up to 2 weeks. Keep reading to see how I do it.
- Refrigerator storage: After cooking the sauce, turn off the heat and stir in the chopped raw cabbage. The residual heat from the meat sauce will soften the cabbage as it cools. Let it cool completely then store in individual portioned bowls/ this way you don’t have to pop a big batch into the microwave when reheating.
- Freezer Storage: To store for a longer period, because storing veggies the freezer tends to soften them over time, this is the trick I use. I stir in the chopped cabbage raw after the ground beef filling is completely cooked. Then transfer into individual portion bowls (for easier reheating) and freeze.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- You can substitute the tomato sauce in this recipe for Marinara sauce, homemade or Rao’s brand works just fine.
- If you don’t have most of the individual spices and herbs used this recipe, you can use just Italian seasoning.
- The texture of your cabbage your preference. I like my veggies with a little crunch. If you like softer veggies, add the cabbage to the sauce earlier and cook for longer.
Other Keto cabbage recipes.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so others can enjoy it too.
Keto Unstuffed Cabbage Roll.
- 1 ½ lb ground beef
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 2 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- ½ tsp kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Add ground beef in a heated dutch oven then break it up using a ground meat chopper, or a wooden or silicon spoon Cook meat till most or all pink is gone, add chopped onions.
- Add garlic and seasoning blend. Stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, then a pour in the tomato sauce, stir and add the bay leaves. Cover pot and let simmer on medium heat for 10 mins making sure to stir at intervals. Then add chopped cabbage, mix to combine, add water, stir taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Simmer on medium heat for up to 2 minutes or until desired vegetable texture is reached.
- Serve immediately.