If you know how to cook cauliflower rice perfectly, you already have a head start to a successful low carb lifestyle. Cauliflower rice is one of my favorite keto/ low carb swaps for a good number of recipes with cauliflower rice and cauliflower fufu struggling for position one.
The blog post always has helpful tips and answers to FAQs to help you with the recipe. Remember to scroll back up for reference after using the jump to the recipe button.
Cauliflower rice can easily become your favorite if you let it. Think about this, when you have a meal that contains rice or pasta, what you enjoy most about that meal is the sauce accompanying the meal not really the rice or pasta because the rice and pasta are actually bland tasting. ( talk about too much rice and pasta in my sentence )
Without the sauce, stews, gravies etc, you can't enjoy that rice on its own. It serves as a blank canvas for the soups, sauces and stews to express themselves if we can put it that way.
If you can think about it that way, you can easily ditch the rice and pasta and swap it out with cauliflower rice, cabbage rice, zoodles and miracle noodles.
What is Cauliflower Rice?
That's a great question. Cauliflower rice also know as Keto rice is simply cauliflower that has been 'riced' ( cut up ) using a food processor or a grater to achieve a rice like consistency.
This post is not just about how to on make riced cauliflower which is a post I have already shared on the blog. It's actually about how to cook the riced cauliflower perfectly for enjoyment as a perfect keto side dish.
Is Cauliflower Rice keto?
Cauliflower rice is keto it's one of the popular rice swaps in the keto world. It contains
Does Keto rice (Cauliflower Rice) taste like rice.
Cauliflower rice doesn't taste exactly like rice but is a great, healthy and close substitute to white rice if you get it right which isn't a difficult task.
Like I mentioned earlier, Rice and Pasta are naturally bland tasting and so is cauliflower so you can easily make the swap when eating the keto way.
How to make cauliflower rice taste good
Personally I don't have any problem with the taste of cauliflower rice. If you do and want to make it taste better, you can sauté in butter and add some black pepper.
You can also decide to make it as fried rice or Jollof rice.
How to make Cauliflower rice
How to cook cauliflower rice on the stove top
- For the stove top I use the sauté method.
- You simply drizzle a little oil or some butter in a sauce pan then sauté/ stir fry the riced cauliflower till softened not mushy.
- Do not cover pan as this will steam the riced cauliflower making it a bit mushy.
How to cook cauliflower rice in the microwave
This is my go to method when cooking plain cauliflower rice to be served with stews and sauces.
It's super easy and is ready in 90 secs or 2 mins if you want a softer texture. I love mine aldente so I usually stick to 90 secs.
- Put riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, cover with microwave lid, no need to add water.
- Microwave on high for 90 secs let rest for 30 secs then sprinkle on some salt and serve.
How to cook frozen cauliflower rice
Frozen cauliflower rice will contain more moisture, make sure to cook it in a wide pan and uncovered just as you would your fresh cauliflower rice.
The wide pan makes the moisture evaporate faster so you don't get a mushy consistency.
How to serve Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower can be served as a main dish when prepared as Jollof cauliflower rice ( stewed cauliflower) or as a side with stews and sauces
What to serve cauliflower rice with
- Minced beef sauce
- Butter Chicken
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
How to cook cauliflower rice
- 1 small head cauliflower riced
- ½ tbsp Butter optional
- salt to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
On the stove top
- Melt butter in a sauté pan
- Add riced cauliflower and sauté till tender ( takes about 3 mins)
- Turn off heat sprinkle some salt and black pepper or onion powder if using
- Serve as a side dish.
In the microwave
- Put riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl
- Cover and pop into the microwave
- Microwave on high for a 90 secs or longer if you like a softer texture.
- Let it sit covered for 30 secs. Then add butter, salt, black pepper or onions if using. Stir and serve