As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Perfect for my chocolate lovers. This all time favorite keto chocolate muffins is soft, moist and super yummy! It’s easy to make and requires ingredients you probably already have in your keto pantry. Looking for a double chocolate chip muffin that’s gluten free, sugar free and grain free? This is the recipe for you. These can be made ahead and stored in the freezer for when your cravings hit.
Keto Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Now you have to decide if this is breakfast or dessert! These low carb and Keto chocolate muffins will surely keep you on track to achieve your goals, whatever it is. They have the perfect texture and we have sour cream to thank for the moist crumb. Thank you sour cream!
Have you tried my keto chocolate chip muffins yet? Those are so good you won’t believe it’s low carb or Keto. If you haven’t tried it, be sure to check it out when you are done with making these Chocolate chip muffins.
What ingredients do I need to make these keto chocolate muffins?
You need a some basic keto pantry staples to make keto chocolate muffins and this includes the followiing
- Almond flour: This is an almond flour based recipe with some coconut flour, I will be sharing a coconut flour based recipe for my friends with nut allergies. If that’s you, please subscribe to my newsletter so you get to be the first to know when I post it.
- Coconut flour: this is an optional ingredient. But i like to add it to my muffin recipes because it makes it a bit fluffy. (See notes)
- Cocoa powder: what’s a chocolate muffin without cocoa powder. I use the Hershey’s special dark unsweetened cocoa powder because it’s really dark.
- Sweetener of choice I use granular erythritol or monkfruit erythritol blend.
- Baking powder.
- Xanthan gum: This is an optional ingredient but recommended.
- Sour cream
- Sugar free dark chocolate chips
Is Cocoa Powder Keto friendly?
Good news chocolate lovers, cocoa powder is low carb and keto friendly. Even chocolate chips are too. Well... some chocolate chips not all. How is this possible I hear you say. Let me break it down a little further with the nutrition facts which includes calories per Tablespoon.
1 Tbsp of cocoa powder (about 5.4g) see breakdown below
- Calories - 12 kcal
- Total fat - 0.7g
- Total carbohydrate - 3.1g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.8g
- Net carbs - 1.3g
- Sugar - 0.1g
- Protein - 1.1g
How to make Keto Chocolate muffins (double chocolate chip muffins) with step by step photos.
Pic 1-3; Mix ingredients in a bowl. Add beaten eggs
Pic 4-6; Add the melted butter, sour cream mix to combine, then add the sugar free chocolate chips.
Pic 7-9; scoop into lined muffin pans and bake.
Quick Recipe Notes and tips
- Preheat oven, it helps to start the baking off and maintaining the rise.
- This recipe can be made without the coconut flour. If you choose to do that, you will need to replace it with more cocoa powder in the same amount, then reduce the eggs to 3
- Use a cookie scoop to ensure you get even amount of batter into each hole.
Some other Cocoa powder keto recipes to check out!
- My ever popular Keto hot chocolate mix
- All time favorite Keto hot chocolate
- Keto Chocolate pound cake
- Keto Chocolate cupcakes
- This Mocha Dalgona coffee is a winner!
Make ahead and how to store
These keto double chocolate chip muffins can be made up to a week ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container. They can sit at room temperature wrapped in cling filmand kept in a cool corner for up to 2 days and they freeze very well. I have frozen them for up to a month with success. Whichever method you choose to store these delectable keto muffins, make sure you they cool down completely before storage.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so others can enjoy it too.
Keto Chocolate muffins
- 2 6 cavity muffins pans or 1 12 cavity muffin pans
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup sweetener
- ½ tsp Xanthan gum
- 5 large eggs (beaten)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- ¼ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Line cup muffin tins with standard cupcake liners, Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, add the beaten eggs.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract, then pour in the melted butter.
- Mix to to form batter, add the sugar free chocolate chips, scoop batter into lined muffins tins using a cookie scoop and bake in preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- It is important to preheat your oven so that the muffins start baking as soon as they hit the oven.
- Using a cookie scoop will help distribute the batter evenly
- Check for doneness at 30 mins. bake for extra 2- 5 mins if muffins are not ready at 30 mins. Do not bake for more than 35 mins.
- This can be made without chocolate chips. If making with chocolate chips, reserve about a tablespoon to add to the top of the muffin batter after scooping into the muffin tin.