These Keto Burger Buns are definitely a winner. They are soft, filling with the right texture to help you stay on course with your keto goals. You won't even know it's low carb.
Pin this keto burger bun to your keto board on Pinterest
Keto Burger Buns
Every 'Low carber' / 'ketoer' is always in search of a good bread recipe. If you find one you keep it because good keto breads are hard to find. As usual this is a recipe variant from my very popular fathead dough bread recipe which I love. Since making that bread, I have made lots of variations from it because I find that it helps me stay on course. It hits the right spot for my bread cravings.
How to make these fat head keto hamburger buns.
- Start with making your modified fat head dough.
- Divide them and put them in these mini pie baking dishes. Easy right?
- Bake to perfection and enjoy.
This recipe makes 4 standard sized keto burger buns or 6 flatter buns. Depending on your carb allotment you can decide to make them into 4 or 6 buns. For 4 burger buns, net carbs count is 7.5g per bun. which you can do if you are doing OMAD ( One Meal A Day) or if you don't mind a burger taking up most of your 20g carbs quota for the day it's actually very filling. For 6 burger buns net carbs count is 4.9g per bun.
You can use a standard muffin pan if you are making six buns. This will make the bun taller.
*I usually don't add sugar alcohols when I calculate my nutritional info since sugar alcohols don't affect the blood sugar of most people including mine.( with the exception of malitol)
As always the nutritional info provided here is as a courtesy to you my amazing readers and Low carb/ Keto VIPs. I use a variety of calculators to compare but this is the calculator I often use. Feel free to use it to calculate any recipe bearing in mind that there may be slight differences depending on the product used.
Tips to get these fat head keto burger buns right
- Getting the dough right is a very important part of the process. Therefore when melting the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese, make sure the cheese melts evenly and completely.
- Fat head dough can be quite sticky, wet hands can mix it better.
- I love to use cold eggs instead of room temperature eggs. I haven't had any problems with that.
- Grease your baking dish properly
This post may contain Affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
Wanna make this keto burger bun?
Click on the links below to buy handy stuff to make the best keto burger buns.
- Mini pie pans either the non stick pans or these mini glass dishes would work.
- Blanched Almond flour I use the Wellbees brand or Anthony's brand
This post has been lying in my draft folder for a very long time now along side lots of low carb deliciousness I have coming your way. I have to let procrastination leave me alone so I can work faster with these posts. Want to make sure you don't miss a post. Make sure to sign up for my free newsletter before you leave. You would definitely love all the low carb deliciousness that would find its way to your inbox when you sign up.
If you found this post helpful, share by using the link to this page (not screen shots or copy / paste pls). Spread the love with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Thank you for your support.
To a healthy lifestyle
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Nutrition per Serving: (makes 6 Servings)
Calories: 332 | Total Fat: 27.2g | Carbs: 7.9g| Fibre: 3g | Protein: 17.6g| Net Carbs: 4.9g
Click here to Pin this Keto Burger Bun
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Fathead Keto Burger Buns
- 1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 2 ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon Cream cheese scoop it when soft
- 2 large Eggs beaten
- 7 g active dry yeast
- ½ tablespoon Sesame seeds or Everything but the bagel seasoning optional
- 1 Tbsp erythritol
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Mix dry ingredients ( almond flour, yeast, erythritol, and baking powdetogether and set aside
- Put the cream cheese, and shredded Mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds iintervals until cheese is evenly melted. Remember to stir in between ( helps to distribute the heat. ) it usually takes me about 1 min 30 secs in total sometimes 2 mins.
- Pour dry ingredients into the microwaved cheese. Mix with your hands or with a spatula then add the cold eggs. Mix till a ball of dough forms.
- Depending on your needs, divide the dough into 4 or 6 equal parts and transfer into well greased mini pie dishes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top, Then bake in the oven for 10 to 12 mins or until the top is golden brown
- Bring out of the oven, allow to cool.
Asembling the burger
- Cut the bun into half, Spread a light layer of butter on each surface.
- Place buttered surface down on a heated up skillet to toast lightly.
- Place your burger fillings ( lettuce, cooked mince beef in between the burger buns and enjoy.
- When you make these into 4 buns the net carbs would be about 7 grams so its best to have that on a day you plan to do OMAD (one meal a day)
- If these are made into 6 buns which is recommended if you want to keep net carbs pretty low. Be aware that the buns would be a little flatter except you use a muffin pan for it.
I love to make my own breads and doughs but had yet to venture into trying keto dough until I found this recipe. And now I'm hooked, I prefer it to regular buns! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks so much for trying out the recipe and dropping Your feedback. ?
I was just looking for bun ideas and this one worked perfect for my family because some of us are keto! Can't wait to enjoy them over the fourth of july!
Awesome! Let me know how it goes
Love the combination of ingredients used to making these delicious Buns. They look perfect too.
These buns look so soft and fluffy!
They are yum
What a great low carb options for buns! I am saving this recipe to enjoy with our backyard cookouts, all summer long!
Definitely worth it
Oh my! They are really, really good. I can't believe how similar they taste to a fresh baked bun. I topped mine with Everything But The Bagel seasoning from Costco before baking and they turned out so good! Best bun recipe I have made so far...definitely a keeper. Thank you!
That’s awesome! You are welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for trying the recipe out and taking out time to leave me your feedback. I love love hearing from you all 😀 Everything but the bagel seasoning sounds great in these. I love to use it on my bagels too yum 😋
Hi! Can you freeze these?
Yes you can. It freezes very well. I have frozen these for up to a month and it came out perfect after microwaving it. Thanks for stopping by😊
Mmmmm I love a good burger recipe and these look amazing!
Thanks Genevieve, they are yum 😋
Love a good burger recipe and these look amazing!
These burger buns look so moist! What a great alternative to store-bought buns.
I could seriously eat this burger right now, yummo!! It looks fabulous. I love that it is low carb and I wish I had me one to eat for lunch today. Cheers!!
Thanks Adrianne. I should send some 😊
What a great option as to not have to miss out while continuing to stay on track! Can't wait to try it!
Mine looked great coming out of the oven, then sank immediately. I made six instead of four so they're pretty thin. I haven't tried to slice them yet. Any clue why they sank? I followed the recipe to the letter.
Sorry to hear it fell after it came out of the oven. I haven’t had that experience with the buns. Here is what I would suggest based on my experience with the fat head dough keto bread on the blog.
Increase the amount of almond flour by two table spoons, alternatively add about 2 Tbsp of coconut or unflavored protein powder to the recipe. Especially if you are making 6 buns.
This should help with structure to prevent it from falling. Did you slice them yet?
Let me know if these tips helps.
Does the Erythritol make the yeast rise?
No the erythritol doesn’t make the yeast rise. It’s just there for the flavor/ taste. Makes it taste as close to real bread as possible. You can leave it out if you don’t have it available at the moment .
I just made this on Saturday. They are amazing! I make a lot of Keto breads. I’ve been Keto for 2 years with 3 teenage boys. So you can guess how much we go through 😆. This is going into normal rotation.
Yayy!! That’s amazing. I totally get your going through lots of keto breads 😀. Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed the recipe. Hope you get to try more recipes from the blog. Love to your family.
Hi where is the sugar? Since there's yeast in it.
There is no sugar in the recipe because the yeast is there to add flavor not as a rising agent. The baking powder is the rising agent.
Please refer to the FAQs on the body of the post for more details. Feel free to reach out again if you have more questions. Thank you for stopping by. Stay safe!
Great recipe but..... please..... never cook a burger that much....ever again. lol
These are frieakin delicious! One issue i had though is they were a bit too moist and the bottom stuck to the tins and pulled a hole out of the bottom. Granted i didnt grease the tins because i forgot but ill definitely make these again!
They sure are freaking delish. If you found it a bit too moist, could it be that you took it out of the oven too early.
Next time you bake maybe bake a little longer (2-3mins). Sometimes altitude and your oven temp can make a difference in how long to bake.
And yes, greasing the pans helps with releasing the buns. Thank you for your feedback, glad you enjoyed the buns. Stay safe.
Can I skip the sweetener or use sugar. I’m staying away from gluten. Sugar I’m good with.
You can make it without the sweetener. If you are not on a keto or sugar free diet, you can definitely use sugar. You may get more rise on the burger buns with the sugar and yeast in there. That’s a good thing. Enjoy! Stay safe!
Oh. I added about a tablespoon of sugar just for the heck of it
Made them today. Didn’t have enough mozzarella cheese but had 6 cheese blend. Thought it was too dry so I added butter....butter makes everything better right?? Then added my 2 T coconut flour and took my chances. Couldn’t decide if 4’or 6 would be better, I’m cooking for elderly people. So I did 5 in my hamburger bun pans. Baked for 10 but they weren’t done. Added 5 and they got a little too done. But they were good...I sliced on into slices for them to have with their tuna salad and they really like it!!
That’s Awesome! And yes butter does make everything better for real 😀. Happy you eventually got it to work and that everyone enjoyed it. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great week and stay safe!