This post may contain Affiliate links, please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Homemade Almond Flour is easy to make. If you are following a low carb / Ketogenic way of life almond flour will definitely be your pantry staple. It is a gluten free alternative to white flours or other flours rich in gluten.
Today’s post is all about showing you how to make almond flour at home because it’s super easy and affordable.
Why You should consider making your own almond flour
As always, it is cost effective to make your own
It’s super easy to make
So you can have an option if you run out it find that your budget is a bit tight for your current month.
Types of Almond flour
Unblanched Almond flour:
Unblanched almond flour also known as almond meal is used in gluten free cooking and baking. This type of almond flour is processed by grinding the almonds with the skins on. The almond skin is responsible for the brownish grey color of the almond meal.
Blanched Almond flour:
Blanched almond flour is better for gluten free baking.. Blanched almond flour is usually finely ground and makes the baked goods lighter than when you use almond meal. For the same recipe. The almonds used to make blanched almond flour are blanched like the name says. The absence of the skin in the blend accounts for its light color.
How to make Homemade Almond flour.
How to make UnBlanched Almond flour at home.
You can either use whole almonds or Slivered almonds to make almond Meal ( Unblanched Almond Flour ) The important thing here is that you don’t need to get the skin off. ( which is super easy by the way )
I like to sun dry my almonds a bit before blending to make almond meal. You can skip this step but I have convinced myself that it makes a better almond meal.
After that I blend the almonds in my coffee grinder and then I sieve and store.
How to make Blanched Almond flour at home.
All you need to make blanched almond flour is blanched almonds ( almonds without the skin )
You can use store bought Blanched whole almonds or you can blanch the almond yourself.
Did you make almond milk and you are wondering how you can make almond meal from the pulp. Check out how I did it in this post.
What to make with Homemade almond flour
Low carb/ keto pancakes
Keto dough nuts
And lots more
Did I convince you to make your own almond flour? If you enjoyed this post, please share with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group. thank you for being awesome!
To a healthy lifestyle
PIN! PIN! PIN!
How to make Almond Flour at home
- 1 cup whole almonds or almond slivers
For almond meal
- If using whole almond break them up by crushing them into smaller bits
- Place the almonds on tray in a single layer and Sun dry for about an hour. Alternatively You can dry in the oven on ow heat For about 1 hour.
- Grind in a coffee grinder or food processor with the pulse setting. Pulsing 3 or 4 times per batch. Be careful not to grind for too long otherwise you will be making some almond butter.
- Transfer ground almonds to a bowl and repeat process till all the almonds are used up.
- Sieve the almond to get a finer texture then repeat pulsing process for the particles left after sieving. Use immediately or store in the freezer.
For blanched almond flour
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Pour the almonds into the boiling water turn off heat and Allow to blanch for 30 secs.
- Drain with a sieve, then run cold water over the almonds
- Then peel the almonds. It comes off easily
- Transfer the blanched almonds to a paper towel lined colander to further absorb moisture.
- Lay the blanched almonds on single layer on a baking sheet. Allow to air dry overnight or sun dry for about 1 hr 15 mins
- Or you dry in the oven at 170 for I hr 30 mins
- When the almonds are completely dry
- Grind in small quantities like we did with the almond meal. Be careful not to make almond. Butter.
- Sieve and regrind like we did above.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer