Blueberries are in season so these keto blueberry bread made with sour cream is the perfect dessert loaf to make now. An easy low carb quick bread that requires just a few pantry ingredients which include an almond flour and coconut flour combination to give you the fluffiest gluten free lemon blueberry loaf you will try. Have you tried my keto blueberry muffins yet? Those are a keeper as well!
Keto Lemon blueberry bread
Keto Lemon blueberry bread is a great addition to your recipe collection. It’s a great way to enjoy your afternoon tea, black coffee, iced coffee or hot chocolate.
Yes you can have hot chocolate while keeping carbs and sugar low and out of your diet. This sugar free hot cocoa mix is the way to go! Make sure you bookmark that recipe for when you would need it the most. Christmas time!
Is Almond flour blueberry bread keto?
Oh yeah! This almond flour blueberry bread is not only keto but low carb, sugar free, gluten free and delicious. Its moist tender crumbs are very similar to my Starbucks lemon loaf can’t be beat. You need to try this recipe!
You may be wondering what makes this a keto and low carb dessert. Not to worry I am here to answer all your questions so feel free to reach out by leaving me a comment if you have more questions that are not answered in this post.
The ingredients which we will be listing shortly are what make this unbelievably yummy sugar free dessert keto, low carb and gluten free. Let’s get to the ingredients.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
- Super fine blanched Almond flour: One of the most popular flour for low carb and keto baking. It’s gluten free. It may not substituted cup for cup with all purpose flour but with tweaks low carb bakers have made it work.
- Coconut flour: This is another popular low carb flour that is used in nut free keto baking. Coconut flour is super absorbent and therefore needs more liquid to bake beautifully. It usually adds to the fluffiness of baked goods, that’s my reason for combining it with almond flour in this recipe.
- Xanthan gum: this is optional but recommended.
- Sweetener of choice: I used Monkfruit-Erythritol blend, You can also use only Erythritol but you might need to adjust it to 1 cup. But before doing that, I suggest you try the recipe as is first then you can decide if you need more or less of the sweetener.
- Baking Powder
- Lemon zest and lemon juice:
- Blueberries: Frozen blueberries also works perfectly here.
- Sour cream: This the other star of this recipe in my opinion. It makes the blueberry loaf crumb tender and moist.
- Butter: Though coconut oil is a great substitute for butter in the recipe, I prefer butter to use butter. Feel free to use this butter flavored coconut oil for that buttery flavor without the butter.
How to make the best moist and fluffy Keto Lemon Blue Blueberry bread!
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos, full directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, add eggs
Pic 4-6; Add melted butter, Sour cream and vanilla extract, then mix to combine.
Pic 7-9; Add lemon juice and zest then fold in blueberries. Reserve some for the top.
Pic 10-12; Soop into lined loaf pan then scatter reserved blueberries on top. Bake in preheated oven for 50 -55 mins.
Cream cheese or Lemon glaze, which is best for this Almond flour Blueberry bread.
Now that would depend on your preference. I love using either cream cheese frosting or lemon glaze for this recipe because either on goes perfectly well with their keto blueberry loaf.
If you’ve tried my no bake blueberry cheesecake, you would know what a delightful match blueberries and cream cheese are. I would also be telling an untruth if I pretend not to know that lemons and blueberries are a match made in heaven 😀. You decide, which would you rather have with this blueberry bread?
Make ahead and How to store
This Keto quick bread can be made ahead and stored tightly wrapped (without the frosting) on the counter for 2 days, in the and in the refrigerator for up to a week. I have frozen it for a month and it still comes out perfect.
How to freeze Keto blueberry Bread.
This bread is best frozen without the frosting, that is not to say you can’t freeze leftovers. The following steps will guide you on how to freeze this sweet loaf.
- Without the frosting or glaze: Let the bread cool completely. It should no longer be warm. Wrap it tightly in a cling film then wrap in a foil paper before freezing for up to a month. When you are ready to enjoy your sweet bread, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Freezing leftovers with frosting: depending on the type of glaze or frosting used, if it’s just a thin glaze, wrap it like above and freeze. But if the frosting is thick, and you want it intact, freeze in an airtight container. Alternatively and if you have space in your freezer, freeze on a Cookie sheet. When it’s completely frozen, wrap tightly with cling film and store in the freezer.
- You can also cut this bread into slices and freeze.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- The mix of almond flour and coconut flour in this bread makes for a fluffy loaf.
- Let bread cool completely before adding the glaze.
- Though this recipe has some coconut flour mixed into the almond flour, I haven’t made this with only coconut flour yet. In the mean time, if you are looking for a nut free version, sesame seed flour or sunflower seed flour are good nut free options that can be substituted 1:1 with almond flour in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes this lemon blueberry bread can be considered a healthier option because it has lower carbs than the traditional one, it's sugar free and has some healthy fats.
Yes it is. All ingredients used here are all keto friendly ingredients.
Blueberries are one of the accepted fruits on the keto diet fruit list. You can have blueberries on a keto diet.
If you loved this Keto blueberry bread, I bet you will love these other sweet breads!
- Keto Pumpkin bread: Moist tender and delicious quick bread is a fall favorite. Has a rich pumpkin flavor and perfect as a dessert or a snack.
- Low carb Banana bread: This is a very delicious low carb option to the classic favorite. Who says low carb has to be boring.
- Keto Lemon Loaf: A low carb alternative to Starbucks famous Lemon loaf
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so others can enjoy it too.
Keto Blueberry Bread
- 8 ½ by 4 ½ loaf pan
- Lemon Zester
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup sweetener
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan gum (optional but recommended)
- ½ cup butter (melted) (see notes 4 for substitution)
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Zest from a small lemon
- ¾ cup Fresh Blueberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup Powdered sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
Bake the cake
- In a clean bowl, mix dry ingredients with a whisk then add the beaten eggs to bowl.
- Next, the melted butter, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add the lemon juice and zest to the batter, then fold in the blueberries (reserving about ¼ cup for the top).
- Scoop batter into prepared loaf pan, top off with reserved blueberies. Bake for 50 to 55 mins.
- When it’s ready, let it cool for 8 mins in pan then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- If using glaze, make lemon glaze while bread cools.
Making the glaze
- To make glaze, mix all glaze ingredients in a bowl till combined.
- Pour over the cooled bread and enjoy.
- If using cream cheese glaze, Mix 2 tablespoon (1 oz) of cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of butter, 8 tablespoon powdered sweetener, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract together. Thin it out with water to your desired consistency.
- If you notice the bread is browning at the top too quickly, cover the top of the pan with foil to prevent it from getting overcooked with the center being undercooked.
- The bread is ready when a cake tester or small knife inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Butter flavored coconut oil can be substituted for butter in this recipe