Keto pretzel bites or low carb soft pretzels are easy to make and super tasty. Do you love auntie Anne’s mini pretzels of the same name? Then you would love these fathead dough replica. These come together in less time than the traditional ones and the taste.. oh my yum! OMY! Read along and find out how to make it with easy step by step photos.
Soft Keto Pretzel Bites!
These soft keto pretzels require a few ingredients. Pretzels are one of the things I miss but since making my keto cinnamon pretzel bites, these and those have become a regular in my kitchen especially when I am craving Auntie Anne’s goodies.
Do you know auntie Anne’s Pretzels? If you do, I bet you miss them as much as I do but it you are cutting carbs the keto way then you would want to try these.
What is Fathead dough?
Fathead dough or Fat head dough is a keto /low carb dough very popular in the keto world. It is made with Mozzarella Cheese, Cream cheese, Almond flour (coconut flour for folks with nut allergies) Eggs and yeast (my addition)
This fathead dough made keto more bearable in the early days when commercially produced keto breads were not available. You cab make a lot of bread like recipes with fathead dough. See list below.
Fat head dough recipes
- Fat head Pizza dough
- Keto cinnamon pretzel nuggets
- Fathead bread
- Keto Dinner rolls
- Low carb pretzel dogs aka pigs in a blanket!
- Keto hot dog buns
What ingredients do I need to make Soft Keto Pretzel bites
To make this easy keto recipe, you need the fat head dough ingredients which you most likely already have in your fridge and pantry. They include the following;
- Mozzarella cheese (the store bought shredded mozzarella cheese is usually better for any fathead dough recipe because it has some cornstarch and other ingredients that it’s tossed it that helps to make the dough come together faster. But it you want to shred a block of mozzarella cheese at home, you may want to toss it in some coconut flour to help absorb some moisture from the cheese)
- Cream Cheese: I have used butter as a substitute for cream cheese like in my keto dinner rolls recipe. Some of my readers have reported success with sour cream. (I have tried it personally.)
- Almond flour: Super fine blanched almond flour is best for this recipe though you can also use Almond meal. These are the almond flours I have used and liked; Wellbee’s, Anthony’s, Costco brand and my Homemade Almond flour. (Coconut flour can be used to make fathead dough as well especially if you have tree nut allergies. Unfortunately it’s not a 1:1 swap. Coconut flour is more absorbent than almond flour, therefore you will need less of it and more liquid when used in a recipe. Head over here for my fathead dough recipe with coconut flour)
- Yeast: This is an optional ingredient, but I highly recommend it because it gives the best flavor to these keto pretzel bites. No sugar is needed here since it doesn’t serve as a rising agent but rather as a flavor enhancer. I use either instant yeast or active dry yeast.
- Baking powder: You can use store bought or make your own it’s easy check out my Homemade Aliminium free baking powder recipe for guidance.
- Coarse salt or Sesame seeds for topping which is absolutely optional.
How to make Keto Pretzel bites
* This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos . Full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Melt cheese, mix in the flour..
Pic 4-6; Add eggs, Mix to form dough.
Divide dough, roll into logs, then cut dough
Brush with egg wash then sprinkle on some sesame seeds, then bake to perfection.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- Cold eggs seem to work better for me when making fat head dough, it helps reduce the chances of the eggs getting scrambled by the warm cheese and also helps get the dough together faster.
- Wet hands help prevent a sticky dough whilke molding the dough
- This recipe can be doubled or halved to suite your needs.
- The recommended cheese for most fat head dough recipes is the store bought part skimmed shredded mozarella cheese beacuse of its low moisture properties. Should you decide to use homemade shredded cheese, I would recommend you use extra almond flour to firm it up a little.
- Shredded Provolone cheese can be used as a substutute for Mozarella in this recipe
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so others can enjoy it too.
Keto Pretzel Bites ( Low carb Soft Pretzels)
- Microwave safe bowl
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment paper
- Shaerp knife or Bench Scraper
- 2 ½ cup Part skimmed Shredded mozzarella cheese (see note 1 if using homemade shredded cheese)
- 2 Tbsp Cream cheese (see note 2 for substitutions)
- 1 ¾ cup Super fine Blanched Almond flour (see notes for nut free version.)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Instant yeast.
- 3 large eggs (reserve one for egg wash)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F,
- Melt mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl at 30 seconds intervals until evenly melted takes about 90 secs in my microwave.Pour dry ingredients into the melted cheese and mix.
- Pour in beaten cold eggs till a cohesive dough forms. Set aside for five minutes to let the dough rest.
- Divide dough into 8 equal parts. Wet your hands then Roll each dough between your palms to form a log then roll between your hands and a parchment paper lined surface to elongate the logs. Repeat process till all logs have been rolled.With a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut logs across into 1 ½ inches (youl shoud get a little over 5 dozen pretzel bites)
- Transfer to parchment paper lined baking sheets, brush pretzel bites with egg wash, then top off with sesame seeds. Bake for 12 mins.
- Store bought mozzarella dough is tossed in corn starch and other ingredients that keep it non sticky and low moisture therefore Homemade shredded cheese will make the dough wetter than a dough made with store bought. To prevent this, add extra almond flour to this recipe or toss in some coconut flour (about 1 Tablespoon).
- Good substitutes for cream cheese would be butter or sour cream. Because of the lower fat content of Greek yogurt I am not sure it would work here.
- Wet hands make the dough easier to handle.
- Using cold eggs reduces the chances of scrambling your eggs when add to the warm cheese.
- If nut free, see this nut free fat head recipe.