Keto Pigs in a blanket that's gluten free and easy to make from scratch. Those sausages wrapped in carby dough have been ketofied and is darn delicious you won't even miss the ones your taste buds has been used to all your life up until this point that is.
Mini pigs in a blanket are great as appetizers and snack for game day or any occasion. All you need is your favorite dipping sauce and you are good to go. Let me show you how to make this quick and easy keto appetizer in easy steps.
Click here to Pin this Keto Pigs in a blanket recipe for later
What are Pigs in a blanket
Pigs in a blanket is variety of sausage based foods in different parts of the world. Mainly in the Uk, US, Denmark, Republic of Ireland , Germany etc.
It simply means sausages wrapped in a 'blanket' the blanket being bacon ( common in the Uk ) or pastry ( common in the U￼￼S )
Pigs in the blanket can be eaten anytime of the year but is usually served as an appetizer during celebrations like Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Join our Keto / Low carb support group on Facebook!
Keto Pigs in a blanket. Are Pigs in a blanket Keto?
The Uk version of pigs in the blanket which is sausages wrapped in bacon is definitely keto but what we know as pigs in the blanket here in the US isn't keto friendly because the blanket is actually a white flour based dough.
Not to worry as always I've got you covered because I love pigs in the blanket too. Anyone remember Aunt Annie's mini pretzel dogs? These are the keto version.
Since I am living the low carb lifestyle, it's only fair that I help myself by making a keto pigs in a blanket.
How to make ￼Keto Pigs in a Blanket from scratch
* Make sure to watch the video to put things in perspective.
Keto Pigs in a blanket are easy to make and with this incredibly easy dough you have your keto pigs in a blanket ready about 30 mins start to finish. Seriously 😀
What you'll need
These are all you need to make these keto goodness
- Super fine Almond flour
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
- Powdered Erythritol ( optional )
Smokies / cocktail sausages usually come with liquid in the bag, it's best if you transfer the smokies to a plate and dab them dry with a clean paper towel before using.
Some times hot dogs tend to split open when being heated up. I would suggest you poke the hot dogs in one or two places to prevent that from happening.
Make sure to check out this post for all the tips and tricks on how to handle fat head dough.
What kind of sausage do I use for this recipe?
Any kind of sausage would do especially if you are making regular sized pigs in a blanket. But if you are making mini pigs in a blanket like I did in this post, you would need cocktail sausages also called mini hot dogs or smokies.
How to serve mini pigs in a blanket.
These can be served however you want. Ok it's own or with your favorite dipping sauce. Below are a list of some that we love.
Pigs in a blanket dipping sauce
- Sugar free honey mustard ( if you are not strict keto )
- Comeback sauce ( ketchup + mayonnaise mix + hot sauce )
If you loved this recipe, check out our other yummy Aunt Annie's copy cat recipes
I hope you found this post helpful. If you did, kindly share with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Remember to share the link to this page. Please do not copy and paste the whole recipe. Thank you.
To a healthy lifestyle,
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Nutrition per Serving: (makes 10 Servings)
Calories: 129 | Total Fat: 10.1g | Carbs: 2.7g | Fibre: 0.4g | Protein: 7g | Net Carbs: 2.3g
Click here to Pin this Keto Pigs in a blanket recipe for later
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Keto Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 ¼ cup superfine almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 Large Eggs (1 will be used for egg wash)
- 7 g instant yeast
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ Tablespoon erythritol optional
- 30 smokies
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside
- Melt Mozarella cheese and Cream cheese in the microwave at 30'secs intervals till fully melted. Usually takes 90 secs though this depends on your microwave.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the melted cheese, then add the cold egg. Mix to form a dough.
- Let the dough cool down for about 5 mins it's easier to handle when it's not warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silicon mat.
- Beat second egg with about 2 tablespoons of water and set aside for egg wash.
- Measure out dough by Tablespoonfuls. Put the dough balls in a plate. You should get about 30 dough balls.
- Take each dough ball and roll it into a log between your palms, flatten it then wrap a cocktail sausage in it. Pinch edges to seal. Place it on the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat process till all the dough is used up.
- With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on the pigs in the blanket.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the lower rack for 15 mins or until slightly golden brown
- It's ready but don't be tempted to pop it in your mouth it hot hot hot.
- Let it cool on baking sheet and enjoy with your choice of dipping sauce.
- A food processor may help you mix the dough better if you would rather not use your hands
- If the dough is too sticky add a bit more almond flour about 2 Tablespoons.
- It's important to let the dough rest. It's a lot easier to handle when it's not warm. You can pop it into the refrigerator for about 15 mins if you have time on your hands.
- Make sure to read this post for tips and tricks for how to use the dough.
I love pigs in blankets! Looks so delicious and I love how easy this recipe is!
Thanks Natalie. These fly off the plates so fast esp on game days 😀
I love making pigs in a blanket for game nights and gatherings with family and friends. They're easy to make and a real crowd pleaser!
Exactly. And now you can also make it for keto family and friends 😊 thanks Denay
What a clever idea! Perfect for snacking OR entertaining!
Sure Jenn. These are perfect for snacking and entertaining 😀
Omg. These are brilliant! Delicious with keto ketchup!
Yes they taste amazing Michelle. Thank you 😊
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
We adore pigs in blankets in our family and I love that these are keto! Will certainly be giving them a try
You would love them. Thanks Bintu 😊
Super important! Please make a specific note that Active Dry Yeast is NOT the same as Instant Yeast. I did not know that and though I didn't mix the wet w/ the dry ingredients, I had to pitch the first mix of dry ingredients to get my Active Dry Yeast to work by putting it in a 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. That being said, the pigs in a blanket came out right and I enjoyed that yeast flavor in the dough.
Yes they are not the same. I mentioned to use instant yeast in the recipe though both would work just fine in this recipe.
The yeast is added for flavor not as a rising agent there won’t really matter which you use. The baking powder in the recipe is actually the rising agent. Hope that helps.
Sorry if I confused you. Will add a note in there for others. Hope the recipe turned out well in the end. Thank You for your feedback! Stay safe.
I made these for an on the go breakfast. The dough was easy to work with and rose really nicely in the oven. I will definitely make this recipe again!
Thank you for sharing.
That’s awesome to hear! Thank you for taking out time to leave me a feedback😊 Hope you get to try more recipes from the blog.
Recipe works so vry well - really incredible! Thank you so much,
Yay!!Thank you for letting me know. Happy you enjoyed it.