Riced cauliflower is so easy to make and this post will show you how. Since cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable used as a substitute for rice in low carb diets this post will help you prepare this vegetables ahead of time.
Click here to Pin Homemade Riced Cauliflower for later
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it to your inbox right away! Plus you’ll get amazing low carb recipes & tips from us every week. Enjoy!
I had heard a lot about store bought frozen riced cauliflower and I have been curious to know what this cauliflower was all about.
I was wondering if it was any different from the riced cauliflower I made at home using my box grater or food processor.
Each time I passed by the freezer aisle in Costco I see customers stretching their hands and taking the frozen riced cauliflower and believe me it finishes super fast.
One day my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to buy a pack and give it try. In fact I think I picked up 2 packs because I I was going to have a super busy week so I wanted to have riced cauliflower on hand for my various cooking escapades.
When I got home I dumped the bags in the freezer. The next time I have keto rice and stew on the menu, I went to the freezer to try my store bought riced cauliflower. What a time saver.
First of all I was pleasantly surprised that there were 4 individually packed bags in there which made the frozen cauliflower rice easy to handle.
Then I microwaved it as per package instructions and it turned out fine.
I said to my self yes this looks good and saves time but why not make yours ahead and freeze in smaller freezer bags and boy has it saved me lots of money.
Dear low-carber if you are reading this and you also buy frozen riced cauliflower from the stores, you need to try this homemade version with same benefit of time saving but an edge over the store bought one since it saves you some $$
How to make Cauliflower Rice | Riced Cauliflower
There are there ways to make riced cauliflower.
- With a knife and chop board
- With a box grater.
- With a food processor or this model of ninja blender because of the way it's blades are styles.
How to make it without a food processor.
For the knife method
- Remove leaves and trim off black spots
- Cut into quarters
- Remove stems and chop on the chopping board. Try not to go too fast so you don't have cauliflower all over the place.
For the box grater Method
Repeat steps 1 & 2 above, then use the large perforated holes of the box grater to grate the cauliflower florets.
Tip: Keep the cauliflower florets on the larger side to keep from hurting your fingers
How to make Cauliflower Rice with a food processor
Repeat same steps above, then feed the cauliflower florets into the tube of the food processor or use this this blender.
How is Homemade Riced Cauliflower stored?
Riced cauliflower can be stored for later if not using immediately. It can be stored in the refrigerator if using within 2 days or in freezer for a longer time.
In the refrigerator:
Line the bottom of the bowl you want to store your cauliflower rice in with paper towel.
Put the riced cauliflower in the Paper towel lined bowl, put another paper towel over the riced cauliflower before covering the bowl. Store for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
In the freezer:
- You can decide to blanch the riced cauliflower if you are keeping it longer than a month in the freezer. If you are freezing for about a month, remove some moisture from it by pressing between paper towels before transferring into a freezer bag for storage.
- Storing longer than a month, blanch the cauliflower rice for 2 mins
How to blanch Cauliflower
- Bring water to boil
- Fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes
- Pour the riced cauliflower into the boiling water. Stir let cook for about 1 minute scoop out into the ice bath.
- Transfer to a sieve to drain then dab dry with paper towel, transfer to the freezer bag and seal, making sure all the air is let out of the bag.
Just transfer the riced Cauliflower into a freezer bag like this one push out the air in the bag and seal.
What recipes can I use this for
- Butter cauliflower rice
- Fried cauliflower rice
- Jollof cauliflower rice
- In cauliflower salads
- Cauliflower pizza
- Native Cauliflower Rice
Whenever you want to use the frozen one, either you let it thaw before using or you remove it from the freezer bag to a microwave safe plate then cook it in the microwave for about 5 mins. Enjoy
Have you ever tried cauliflower rice with a touch of salted butter?? Hmmm
Now who is going to go ahead and make their own homemade riced cauliflower ?? Meeee and YOU... I hope.
To a healthy lifestyle
Click here to Pin Homemade Riced Cauliflower for later.
Homemade Riced Cauliflower
- I head cauliflower
- Remove the leaves and cut out florets.
- Wash the florets thoroughly,
- Set aside to dry or your towel dry with the kitchen towel.
- Transfer to the food processor then pulse until you achieve the consistency of rice.
- Use immediately or seal in an air tight bag and store In the freezer.,
- It is important to drain the cauliflower properly and pat dry before processing. it helps to reduce the moisture.
- Make sure you expel all the air in the freezer bag to prevent freezer burn on the frozen riced cauliflower.
- Freeze with bag lying flat
Did you make this Recipe? Tag @lowcarbhealthclub on instagram & Hashtag it #lowcarbhealthclub. I would love to see your beautiful creations.