Keto hot chocolate recipe! This version is dairy free. If you remember my sugar free hot cocoa mix recipe an amazing keto hot cocoa drink? Then you will already know the difference between hot chocolate vs hot cocoa. That explains exactly why I am sharing this winter comfort beverage with you and is one of the easiest homemade drinks you will be making this season that will keep you warm and comfy.
Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
Though it sounds like it’s only for the cold months. Hot chocolate is a favorite anytime of the year. You don’t need to have it hot in summer but you can definitely have a cold chocolate drink then.
Unlike my keto hot cocoa drink, this recipe uses real keto friendly chocolate and not just cocoa. It is thicker and more chocolatey than the one made from my hot chocolate mix.
Is Hot Chocolate Keto?
Traditional hot chocolate isn’t keto but this recipe is not only low carb but also keto friendly. How is it so?
This hot chocolate unlike the others contain Wholesome keto ingredients which I will be listing down below. So to answer your question. Yes it is.
Carbs in Hot Chocolate
If you are wondering the total carbs and net carbs in Hot chocolate, I will not only tell you but I also showed exactly how to calculate net carbs and read food labels in this guide. You can check it out after reading through this recipe. It has a free net carb calculator at the end of the guide.
The carbs in hot chocolate will definitely depend on the portion sizes and ingredients used in the recipe. For instance, carbs in hot chocolate made with just chocolate will differ with one made with mix of cocoa and chocolate chips. It’s also dependent on the type of milk used. Almond milk, Coconut milk, heavy cream etc have varying amounts of carbs
Based on the ingredients used in and the serving size, this recipe has 115 calories per serving, a total carb of 13.8g per serving and dietary fiber of 12.1g which brings the net carbs down to 1.7g per serving. If you are not familiar with net carbs, I have a helpful post on how to calculate net carbs.
- Keto friendly chocolate chips
- Heavy cream or Almond milk to make dairy free
- Sweetener of choice, I recommend alullose, erythritol or monkfruit erythritol blend.
How to make Keto Hot Low carb Chocolate with step by step photos
Step 1-3; Heat up milk of choice on medium heat, add sweetener, salt and vanilla extract. Then add the keto chocolate to the warm milk.
Step 4-6; Stir in the chocolate chips till melted and fully incorporated. Do not let it come to rolling boil. Serve immediately.
Low Carb Keto Hot chocolate variations
- Keto bullet proof hot chocolate: this is the perfect keto hot chocolate. It’s simply your regulate keto hot chocolate with some extra fat added to it for that extra boost of energy and satiety fat adds to any meal. Just like bullet proof coffee it is designed to keep you full for longer and could serve as a meal replacement.
- Sugar free Mexican Hot chocolate Recipe: Need some heat. Add a pinch of Cayenne pepper to this recipe for that Mexican spicy kick
- Keto Hawaiian hot chocolate: Follow this recipe and use coconut milk instead of almond milk to get the Hawaiian yumminess.
- Low carb Haitian Hot Chocolate: Add a star anise and a half a cinnamon stick to this recipe.
- Keto friendly marshmallows (disclaimer: the ones used in these images are the regular ones which are not sugar free). However I found the Know brainer and La Nouba brands online which I haven’t tried yet but they seem to have good reviews so will be trying them.
- Whipped cream
- Ground Cinnamon or some Sugar free Hot cocoa mix sprinkled over the whipped cream.
- Sugar free Sprinkles. Homemade or store bought
- Sugar free chocolate syrup
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- You can decide the consistency to prefer by adjusting the amount of liquid in this recipe upwards or downwards.
- Adding Cocoa is optional when making hot chocolate. I prefer to leave it out to reduce the carb count and because the chocolates are chocolatey enough for me. You can make this Keto hot cocoa if you prefer from my sugar free hot cocoa mix.
- I used Almond milk to make it plant based. Feel free to use any milk of your choice. If on a keto or low carb diet use a mix of heavy cream and water instead of milk to keep carbs low.
- When making hot chocolate, the milk only needs to be on a simmer not a rolling boil.
- Hot chocolate should be served immediately because the chocolate will congeal as it cools. However, If that happens, you can warm it up in the microwave again.
Tools used to make Keto Hot Chocolate.
Click links below to see tools or similar ones used in this recipe.
- Stainless steel sauce pan: a nice stainless steel sauce pan is always a great addition to your kitchen utensils. These ones made by 360 Cookware are by far my favorite ones. If you love nice pots be sure to head over and pick up one or two for yourself and a friend. Use the coupon code MDK 20 to get a whooping 20% off your entire purchase. And yes I love you guys like that.
- A nice and sturdy whisk: To help blend in the melting chocolate with the milk
- Small ladle: This will help scoop the hot chocolate into mugs if you don’t want to pour it from the pot.
- Serving mugs: I couldn’t find the exact mugs I used but these marshmallow ones are equally cute. Alternatively these transparent glass mugs are awesome.
Other Keto Hot Chocolate Recipes to try
- White Hot Chocolate
- Red velvet Hot chocolate: who says that’s only for Valentine’s Day 😉
- Pink Hot chocolate.
- Keto hot chocolate bombs
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so others can enjoy it too.
Looking for support? Join our Free Facebook group where we share recipes and cheer you on. Can't wait to meet you!
Low carb Keto Hot Chocolate Drink Recipe
- 4 oz Sugar free Keto Chocolate chips
- 1½ cup Unsweetened Almond milk (or any other plant based of choice)
- 1 Tablespoon Powdered Allulose (Erythritol and a Monk fruit blend will work)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Heat up milk on low medium heat. Add Powdered sweetener, salt and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the Sugar free Chocolate chips and stir with a whisk while it simmers on low heat until melted. Do not let it boil.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Please refer to body of post for topping suggestions.
- If you choose to use heavy cream instead of Almond milk, use a mix of water and heavy cream.