As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This easy mushroom stir fry is not only keto, it's vegan and so delicious. It easily be adapted to any lifestyle you choose. Add some chicken or beef or even throw in some broccoli and you still have yourself a quick and delicious meal to serve for dinner to your family in less time.
Mushroom Stir fry Recipe
The meaty texture of mushrooms make it is a great meat alternative for meatless Mondays and makes a great side dish for not only vegans but anyone who loves good food.
Mushrooms are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, and definitely a good vegetable to add to your meal plan.
Are Mushrooms Keto? Carbs in mushrooms.
Oh yes! Mushrooms are keto friendly and healthy for you. A cup of sliced mushrooms has a total 2.3g carbs and a net carb of 1.3g. Keto is usually associated with having lots of meat in your diet which isn't really the case. Mushrooms are a great alternative to meats especially for vegan low-carb meals.
Another amazing thing about mushrooms is that they absorb flavors really well. They can easily soak up flavors of any spice blend you want it to. If making an Indian dish, this will work well with Garam masala for instance.
Why Mushrooms are good for you.
- Mushrooms are rich in the antioxidant called Selenium. What do antioxidants do? They boost the immune system and help protect the body from free radicals that are damaging and can cause cancer or heart diseases.
- Mushrooms are rich in the B group of vitamins like Riboflavin, Niacin and Pantothenic acid.
- They are rich in fiber and minerals. Mushrooms are low fat, low calorie and cholesterol free. Win win
This mushroom stir fry requires just a few ingredients that you probably have stocked up in your pantry.
- Mushrooms (I used baby Bella, however, any kind will work)
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers
- Low sodium Gluten free Tamari Soy sauce or Coconut aminos
- Coconut oil
- Sweetener of choice I used so nourished monk fruit erythritol blend use LCHEALTHCLUB10 to get 10% off your entire purchase.
- Pepper flakes
- Salt and or vegetable bouillon
- Dry oregano and parsley flakes
How to cook this low carb and Keto Mushroom Stir fry
First you need to marinade the mushrooms like you would do any meats you. Mix the marinade ingredients with the cleaned and cut mushrooms and set aside for 8-10 mins
Get other vegetables ready, Sauté the chopped onions and marinated mushrooms then add the veggies then herbs. Let it simmer on low heat for another 3 minutes. Serve.
Make ahead, Storing and Reheating.
This is a quick meal and is best eaten fresh. However for meal prep purposes, you can make this up to 3 days ahead and it will keep well in the freezer.
I haven't needed to freeze this so I don't only if it freezes well. You can store leftovers from a fresh batch for 2-5 days in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
What to serve this vegan mushroom stir fry with.
I served mine with cauliflower rice , however, it can be served with any rice substitute you prefer. Shirataki rice is great substitute for rice and so is Cabbage rice. You can try them out and decide which you like best.
Mushroom Stir fry Variations
- Chicken mushroom stir fry: To make this add some shredded chicken breasts or thighs to this recipe. you will need to adjust the seasoning upwards according to your taste.
- Mushroom and broccoli stir fry: Additional veggies wont hurt this dish. be creative and enjoy the ride.
Quick Recipe notes and Tips
- Marinating the mushrooms helps it absorb more flavors.
- Depending on your goals this recipe makes 3 Standard servings and 2 generous servings.
- Rinse the mushrooms in a colander under running water instead of immersing in water. This way it doesn't absorb a lot of water which can make your dish more watery than you water.
Other Mushroom Recipes you might like
- Keto cream of mushroom soup
- Low carb Mushroom stir fry
More Keto Sauces to try
- Keto Mongolian beef: This recipe is a winner and a must try. Perfect for meal planning and keeps you satisfied.
- Indian butter Chicken: Your favorite Indian restaurant take out made Keto.
- Homemade Meat sauce: This is a must make. similar to a Bolognese sauce but different. Yum!
With little or no time to spare these days, this mushroom stir fry would be a nice addition to your meal time rotation. I remember the very first time I shared it on Instagram, it was a hit.
If you give it a try, leave me a comment and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as we did. And don't forget to share it with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Thank you.
Easy Mushroom Stir fry (Keto, Low carb)
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 small onions sliced
- 8 oz baby bells mushrooms chopped
- ½ Medium Red bell peppers sliced
- ½ Medium Green bell peppers sliced
- ½ Medium Yellow bell peppers sliced
- ½ Tablespoon Pepper flakes.
- 2 Tablespoon Water
For Mushroom marinade:
- 3 Tablespoon Coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce.
- ½ Tablespoon Onion powder optional
- ½ Tablespoon Minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon Monkfruit-Erythritol blend optional
- Marinade the mushrooms for 5 mins
- In a saucepan heat up coconut oil add chopped onions and the marinated and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the sliced peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Taste for salt/ season and adjust accordingly
- If you want it thicker either you cook it a little longer or you sprinkle some xanthan gum.
- Serve with riced cauliflower