This psyllium husk bread is soft and fluffy and tastes and feels like whole grain or whole wheat bread because of the use of the ever versatile psyllium husks powder in this recipe. If you are in search of a good whole grain bread substitute on a low carb diet, this is it. I have included step by step photos but make sure to watch the recipe video to help you out with the recipe.
Keto wheat bread (psyllium husk bread)
Psyllium husks powder is the star ingredient in this bread. Unlike my most popular bread recipe, this psyllium husk bread recipe aka keto wheat bread can easily be made dairy free.
This almond flour psyllium husk bread has airy pockets and looks just like regular bread. The yeast adds a ton of flavor therefore I strongly recommend that you don't skip it if you don't need to.
What is Psyllium husk? What is it used for.
Psyllium husks also known as Ispaghula is a type of dietary fiber made from the husks of the seeds of the plant Plantago Ovata. It has a lot of benefits of which the most common is as a laxative to relief constipation.
What is Psyllium husks used for?
- It is used and a thickening and bulking agent as in this psyllium husk bread.
- Because of its high fiber content, Psyllium husks is used as a laxative as previously mentioned.
- It may help treat diarrhea by bulking up the stool and reducing frequency.
- Psyllium husk can help with weight loss as it gives a sense of fullness and makes you eat less.
- Can be used to control blood sugar by delaying food digestion.
*Psyllium husks may cause intestinal obstruction in rare cases. It advised that it should be be with a lot of water.
What is Psyllium husks powder?
Psyllium husks powder is simply the powder form of psyllium husks. This is achieved by dry blending the husks till smooth.
Ingredients needed to make psyllium husks bread
- Psyllium husks powder
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Ground flax seeds
- Butter (can be substituted with coconut oil)
- Instant yeast- This is for flavor and not a rising agent.
How to make Psyllium Husk bread.
* This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos, full recipe and instructions can be found at printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Pic 1-3; mix dry ingredients, put eggs and egg whites in a bowl.
Pic 4-6; whip the eggs, add melted butter and dry ingredients.
Pic 7-9; mix to form dough. Add boiling water to dough mix to form ball then let it rest for about 2 minutes.
Pic 10-12; transfer dough to a lined loaf pan bake.
Quick recipe notes and tips
- Measure out your ingredients and get them ready before making the recipe.
- Read through that recipe.
- The hot water helps to activate the psyllium husk powder do not skip.
- To get a good rise from this recipe, make sure to use unexpired baking powder and the right size of pan.
- Use the extra egg yolks from the separated eggs for a yolk omelette. You can also use carton egg whites for this recipe if you would rather not separate the eggs. If using carton egg whites, you will need ½ cup. The calculation is 8 eggs will give you 1 cup of egg whites.
Frequent Asked Questions
- Where to buy Psyllium husk/powder Luckily psyllium husks and psyllium husks powder are stocked in regular grocery stores at the health foods or specialty foods section. If your grocery stores don't carry it, psyllium husks powder is readily available online
- Is Psyllium husk bread keto. Yes this psyllium husk bread is keto
- What is a good substitute for psyllium husks. Depending on the recipe, Xanthan gum can be used but unfortunately psyllium husks is a vital ingredient in this psyllium husk bread and can't be substituted
- Is wheat bread keto. Can I have wheat bread on keto? Regular wheat bread is high in carbs and therefore not keto.
- Can I make this recipe into dinner rolls? Yes you make this recipe into dinner rolls.
- Can I double this recipe? Yes you can double or half this Recipe.
Do you need bread to keep you on track?
Find more Keto Bread Recipes below.
Keto Yeast Breads
Keto Quick Breads
Did you find this post helpful? Leave me a comment and remember to share the link to this post with family and friends so they can enjoy it too.
To a healthy lifestyle,
Nutrition per Serving for 6 Servings of 2 slices each.
Calories: 403| Total Fat: 33g | Carbs: 19.9g | Fibre: 15g | Protein: 7.8g | Net Carbs: 4.9g
Nutrition per Serving for 12 Servings of 1 slice each.
Calories: 202 | Total Fat: 16.5| Carbs: 9.9g | Fibre: 7.5g | Protein: 3.9g | Net Carbs: 2.4g
Click here to save this recipe for later
Keto psyllium husk bread
- 1 ½ cup Blanched almond flour
- ½ tablespoon erythritol
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons Instant dry yeast
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup psyllium husks powder
- ½ cup Salted butter melted
- ½ a cup boiling water
- 2 Large eggs
- 4 egg whites ½ cup carton egg whites
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Whisk the egg whites and whole eggs together then add melted butter.
- Add dry ingredients to eggs and butter mix, stir to combine
- Pour in boiling water to the dough. Whisk with a hand mixer till dough comes together.
- Let it rest for 2 mins to activate the psyllium then transfer dough to lined baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 mins
- Make sure to watch the video. That is the easiest way to understand a recipe.
- You can substitute the melted butter for coconut oil in this recipe. Make sure to use refined coconut oil to avoid a strong coconut taste.
- You can skip the yeast though I highly recommend it for the true bread taste.