These Keto hot dog buns are soft and delicious and are totally carb lover approved. If you love hot dogs and have been missing the bun since you changed to a low carb sugar free diet, then these keto hot dog buns are made just for you.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it to your inbox right away! Plus you’ll get amazing low carb recipes & tips from us every week. Enjoy!
Keto Hot dog buns
These have the Perfect texture, no eggy taste, YEASTful taste. ( you can decide to use yeast or skip it) whichever way you go these taste ah-mazing.
A bite into these will give you hope that sticking with this lifestyle is possible. That moment you finally realize you don't have to eat a bun- less hot dog ever again if you don't want to.
These are the standard bun size with lot less carbs. You in?
Why you would love these keto hot dog buns
- Because delicious Keto hot dog buns are just what you need sometimes to help you say no to the temptations that come with regular hot dog buns. It truly takes a lot of discipline especially for beginners to say no to Buns.
- These taste so good and they freeze perfectly for whenever you need to eat hot dogs.
- The carb count is great with just 4.9 Net carbs per bun why not the regular burger bun is 20g Net carbs.
- These get ready in 20 mins start to finish. Regular hot dog buns get ready in at least an hour
- These are not flat but regular sized so You get to eat your bun without the guilt just like you would with your burger.
- You get to stay in ketosis where the magic happens.
How to make Fathead Keto hot dog buns
These buns of deliciousness are made with the ever popular fathead dough with a little tweak to make the carb count even lower. The only difference is that I swapped out some of the almond flour with ground golden flaxseeds.
Keto hot dog buns ingredients
Ingredients required to make these hot dog bus are regular low carb pantry staples.
- Ground golden flaxseeds
- Yeast ( optional ) if you miss the taste of yeast in breads.
- Erythritol ( optional ) if you like a sweeter bread.
- Mozzarella cheese
How to mold the hot dog buns
For most low carb/ keto baking, the visual out come of the recipe is determined by mold in which it is baked. Therefore I highly recommend using a 6 by 6 square pan or an 8 by 8 square pan if that's what you have. See pic below on how I used that. Notice the scrunched up log foil paper.
If you don't have these square pans, you can either put the dough logs side by side and close together. This helps reduce the spread of the dough while it bakes. See pic below.
If would rather the buns make them individually, you can use these hot dog bun pans which I used a lot before buying my 8 by 8 pan for brownies. I use the square pans more these days.
Alternatively check out this YouTube tutorial on how to make a twinkie pan is a great way to make your own hot dog pans, with heavy duty aluminum
How to make Hot dogs for the keto bun
A well cooked hot dog should be brownish red in color. Juicy on the inside and not dried out.
Hot dogs can be made in 4 different ways
- In the grill: Perfect in the summer.
- Fire up your grill and grill these to perfection.
- Make sure to cook the hot dogs on the cooler side of the hot grill so that the hot dogs cook evenly without getting burnt on the outside and not properly cooked on the inside.
- You can get those char marks / grill marks on the hot dogs using this method
- In the oven: This method will warm up your house in the winter.
- Preheat oven to 400• F
- Put hot dogs in a baking sheet
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the hot dogs are browned.
On the stove top:
- Add a little water to a fry pan or a grill pan about ½ an inch then add the hot dogs.
- Cook hot dogs till water evaporates then then till them to gets them browned evenly.
- To get the grill marks with the stove top method, use a grill pan
In the microwave:
- Put hot dogs in a microwave friendly plate.
- Cover 2 hot dogs with paper towel then microwave on high for 50 secs. Check for doneness.
- If it's not warmed through, microwave for another 20 - 30 secs.
Toppings for Keto Hot dog buns
Some hot dog toppings are not keto friendly and some are.
Keto friendly hot dog toppings
Non keto friendly hot dog toppings that can be adapted
- Relish: Traditional relish isn't sugar free but doesn't contain a huge amount of sugar per serving. You can get the sugar free relish here.
- Ketchup: Instead of using regular ketchup, use this keto friendly sugar free ketchup.
- Barbecue sauce: Instead if using regular barbecue sauce, use this keto friendly sugar free barbecue sauce.
- Hot sauce: Some hot sauces have added sugar so you can either make yours or use this sugar free one. If you are adventurous you can try the avocado based hot sauce or this vegan carrot based one.
How to freeze these keto hot dog buns
- Wrap each bun individually with parchment paper, then wrap with cling film
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
- when ready to eat the buns, Microwave for one minute and repeat till fully warmed.
If you loved this keto hot dog bun recipe, then you would love these other yummy keto recipes on the blog.
If you found this post helpful, share by using the link to this page (not screen shots or copy / paste pls). Spread the love with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Thank you for your support.
To a healthy lifestyle
Nutrition per Serving for the buns (makes 4 Servings)
Calories: 359 | Total Fat: 27.4 g | Carbs: 9.8g | Fibre: 4.9g | Protein: 14.3g | Net Carbs: 4.9g
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Fat head dough hot dog bun
- 1 cup Blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup Ground golden flaxseeds
- ½ Tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Instant yeast optional
- 1 Tablespoon Cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large Egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Mix dry ingredients ( almond flour, yeast, and baking powdetogether and set aside
- Put the cream cheese, and shredded Mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds intervals until cheese is evenly melted. Remember to stir in between ( helps to distribute the heat. ) it usually takes me about 1 min 30 secs to a total sometimes 2 mins.
- Pour dry ingredients into the microwaved cheese. Mix with your hands or with a spatula then add the cold eggs. Mix till a ball of dough forms
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each dough into an 6 in long log. Place logs side by side with just about ⅛ an inch between each log.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bring out of the oven, allow to cool.
Assembling the hot dog bun
- Cut the bun into half
- Put your cooked hot dogs in ( see post above for various ways to prepare hot dogs properly)
- Top with your favorite keto friendly toppings ( like keto ketchup see post for other suggestions )
- If you want a sweeter bread, add ½ teaspoon erythritol
- If the dough is sticker let it rest or pop it into the refrigerator to chill. The dough is easier to handle when cold. Please read more on how to deal with fathead dough in this post.
- I use cold eggs for my fathead dough because i find it easier to handle.
- Make sure to watch the video to help you put things in perspective.