These Keto hot dog buns are soft and delicious and are totally carb lover approved. If you love hot dogs and have been missing the bun since you changed to a low carb sugar free diet, then these keto hot dog buns are made just for you.
Click here to pin this amazing keto hot dog buns for later
Keto Hot dog buns
These have the Perfect texture, no eggy taste, YEASTful taste. ( you can decide to use yeast or skip it) whichever way you go these taste ah-mazing.
A bite into these will give you hope that sticking with this lifestyle is possible. That moment you finally realize you don't have to eat a bun- less hot dog ever again if you don't want to.
These are the standard bun size with lot less carbs. You in?
Why you would love these keto hot dog buns
- Because delicious Keto hot dog buns are just what you need sometimes to help you say no to the temptations that come with regular hot dog buns. It truly takes a lot of discipline especially for beginners to say no to Buns.
- These taste so good and they freeze perfectly for whenever you need to eat hot dogs.
- The carb count is great with just 4.9 Net carbs per bun why not the regular burger bun is 20g Net carbs.
- These get ready in 20 mins start to finish. Regular hot dog buns get ready in at least an hour
- These are not flat but regular sized so You get to eat your bun without the guilt just like you would with your burger.
- You get to stay in ketosis where the magic happens.
How to make Fathead Keto hot dog buns
These buns of deliciousness are made with the ever popular fathead dough with a little tweak to make the carb count even lower. The only difference is that I swapped out some of the almond flour with ground golden flaxseeds.
Keto hot dog buns ingredients
Ingredients required to make these hot dog bus are regular low carb pantry staples.
- Ground golden flaxseeds
- Yeast ( optional ) if you miss the taste of yeast in breads.
- Erythritol ( optional ) if you like a sweeter bread.
- Mozzarella cheese
How to mold the hot dog buns
For most low carb/ keto baking, the visual out come of the recipe is determined by mold in which it is baked. Therefore I highly recommend using a 6 by 6 square pan or an 8 by 8 square pan if that's what you have. See pic below on how I used that. Notice the scrunched up log foil paper.
If you don't have these square pans, you can either put the dough logs side by side and close together. This helps reduce the spread of the dough while it bakes. See pic below.
If would rather the buns make them individually, you can use these hot dog bun pans which I used a lot before buying my 8 by 8 pan for brownies. I use the square pans more these days.
Alternatively check out this YouTube tutorial on how to make a twinkie pan is a great way to make your own hot dog pans, with heavy duty aluminum
How to make Hot dogs for the keto bun
A well cooked hot dog should be brownish red in color. Juicy on the inside and not dried out.
Hot dogs can be made in 4 different ways
- In the grill: Perfect in the summer.
- Fire up your grill and grill these to perfection.
- Make sure to cook the hot dogs on the cooler side of the hot grill so that the hot dogs cook evenly without getting burnt on the outside and not properly cooked on the inside.
- You can get those char marks / grill marks on the hot dogs using this method
- In the oven: This method will warm up your house in the winter.
- Preheat oven to 400• F
- Put hot dogs in a baking sheet
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the hot dogs are browned.
On the stove top:
- Add a little water to a fry pan or a grill pan about ½ an inch then add the hot dogs.
- Cook hot dogs till water evaporates then then till them to gets them browned evenly.
- To get the grill marks with the stove top method, use a grill pan
In the microwave:
- Put hot dogs in a microwave friendly plate.
- Cover 2 hot dogs with paper towel then microwave on high for 50 secs. Check for doneness.
- If it's not warmed through, microwave for another 20 - 30 secs.
Toppings for Keto Hot dog buns
Some hot dog toppings are not keto friendly and some are.
Keto friendly hot dog toppings
Non keto friendly hot dog toppings that can be adapted
- Relish: Traditional relish isn't sugar free but doesn't contain a huge amount of sugar per serving. You can get the sugar free relish here.
- Ketchup: Instead of using regular ketchup, use this keto friendly sugar free ketchup.
- Barbecue sauce: Instead if using regular barbecue sauce, use this keto friendly sugar free barbecue sauce.
- Hot sauce: Some hot sauces have added sugar so you can either make yours or use this sugar free one. If you are adventurous you can try the avocado based hot sauce or this vegan carrot based one.
How to freeze these keto hot dog buns
- Wrap each bun individually with parchment paper, then wrap with cling film
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
- when ready to eat the buns, Microwave for one minute and repeat till fully warmed.
If you loved this keto hot dog bun recipe, then you would love these other yummy keto recipes on the blog.
If you found this post helpful, share by using the link to this page (not screen shots or copy / paste pls). Spread the love with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group. Thank you for your support.
To a healthy lifestyle
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Nutrition per Serving for the buns (makes 4 Servings)
Calories: 359 | Total Fat: 27.4 g | Carbs: 9.8g | Fibre: 4.9g | Protein: 14.3g | Net Carbs: 4.9g
Click here to pin the best hot dog buns for later
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Fat head dough hot dog bun
- 1 cup Blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup Ground golden flaxseeds
- ½ Tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Instant yeast optional
- 1 Tablespoon Cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large Egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Mix dry ingredients ( almond flour, yeast, and baking powdetogether and set aside
- Put the cream cheese, and shredded Mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds intervals until cheese is evenly melted. Remember to stir in between ( helps to distribute the heat. ) it usually takes me about 1 min 30 secs to a total sometimes 2 mins.
- Pour dry ingredients into the microwaved cheese. Mix with your hands or with a spatula then add the cold eggs. Mix till a ball of dough forms
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each dough into an 6 in long log. Place logs side by side with just about ⅛ an inch between each log.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bring out of the oven, allow to cool.
Assembling the hot dog bun
- Cut the bun into half
- Put your cooked hot dogs in ( see post above for various ways to prepare hot dogs properly)
- Top with your favorite keto friendly toppings ( like keto ketchup see post for other suggestions )
- If you want a sweeter bread, add ½ teaspoon erythritol
- If the dough is sticker let it rest or pop it into the refrigerator to chill. The dough is easier to handle when cold. Please read more on how to deal with fathead dough in this post.
- I use cold eggs for my fathead dough because i find it easier to handle.
- Make sure to watch the video to help you put things in perspective.
Wow! This is so good. Didn’t believe it when I saw this recipe in a Facebook group. I tried it and it’s perfect. Yum. Thank you for sharing. I can’t wait to try your other recipes.
It’s really a great recipe. Thank you for trusting me and trying it out and for the feedback too. Hope you get to try ore recipes on the blog. 😊
Made mine today, first time, wonderful! Something to sink my teeth into.
The yeast made it smell soo good. Thank you!
So happy to hear that you loved it. Oh yeah! The yeast makes a world of difference in taste. Thanks for your feedback. 😊 Stay safe!
Do you let you let the rolls rise for a bit when useing yeast? I didn't and the rolls were tasty, but very dense.
The yeast in the recipe is there for flavor, therefore won’t rise when left to rest since there is no sugar for it to feed on. The baking powder is actually the rising agent here. With that it should rise fairly well.
If you are not doing keto and are not sugar free, you can proof the yeast with sugar and some water since the yeast will feed on the sugar and there won’t be any sugar left (scientifically proven) if you go that route you will need a bit more Almond flour to mop up the extra liquid needed to proof the yeast. Hope this answer helped. Feel free to drop me a line if you still need help. Stay safe!
Does anyone know the brand of golden flaxseed is it meal? All I'm finding is golden flaxseed meal
Yes it is. I use the Bob Red mills brand.
Question: beginning of recipe says preheat oven to 375°, then at the bottom it says to bake at 400°. Which is correct?
So sorry for the confusion it should be 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I also mentioned that in the body of the post. Will fix it ASAP. Thank you for bringing it to my notice. 😊
I’m getting ready to make this today and I’m a little confused it says golden flaxseed is that flaxseed milk because I was googling it and I noticed there’s like actual seeds and then the flaxseed meal
It’s actually the golden flaxseed meal. If you have whole flaxseeds, you can process that in a food processor or coffee grinder.
If you don’t have flaxseed meal on hand. You can replace the flaxseed meal with its equivalent in almond flour. (this will increase the carb count)
The reason I decided to combine almond flour and flaxseed meal in this recipe is to reduce the carb count. Hope that helps. Thank you for stopping by.
Make sure to watch the slideshow video to see the recipe in action.
I really want to make these today but I don't have yeast. It says optional. How will the buns come out without the yeast? Should I add anything else to substitute for the yeast?
Hope you and your family are staying safe and well. You can make it without the yeast. The yeast in this recipe isn’t the rising agent, the baking powder is.
The yeast is there to give the bread flavor we all miss. Since you don’t have yeast at home, feel free to skip it.
But try to make it with yeast whenever you can lay your hands on some. It makes a huge difference to your tastebuds 😉Enjoy!
Super excited for these buns for our hot dog roast tonight! I just realized that my husband used the rest of the cream cheese we had on hand. Is there a good substitute?
Butter will be a good substitute to cream cheese. I used butter in my keto dinner rolls recipe ⤵️
Let me know how it goes. Stay safe!
Hey! I ended up making them with a tablespoon of sour cream and they were divine!! Next time I’ll make a double batch and freeze them!
Yayy! Lindsey, that’s awesome. I wanted to mention sour cream but decided against it since I haven’t actually tried it.
I am happy it worked out. Now I can add that to substitutions. Thank you so much for sharing. 😊
Just wanted to let you know that I doubled the recipe and made dinner rolls in my muffin tin! I topped them with Everything But The Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s and they turned out amazing!! Doubling the recipe yielded 12 muffins which is perfect for leftovers and freezing a few! Thanks again for an amazing recipe!
That’s amazing Lindsay, thanks so much for sharing.
Do you have pictures? If you do, you can share them with me on Instagram by tagging @lowcarbhealthclub I would love to share it to my stories if that’s fine with you.
Thank you for your feedback it’s always a pleasure to hear from you. Stay safe!
Very good! But I feel like they came out tiny. I wanted sausage sized buns. I'll have to double or triple the recipe just to make sausage buns. Flavor was amazing.
Thanks for your feedback 😊. These buns work well for standard size hot dogs.
Are the sausages you are referring to much bigger than standard hot dogs?
Yes you can double this recipe with great results, but be mindful of the carbs per serving. Stay safe!
I have a couple of questions. Do I need the grounded golden flaxseeds or can I leave them out? And is unsalted butter an OK substitute if I don't have cream cheese?
I have been searching through a lot Paleo/Keto hotdog bun recipes and I was most interested with yours. I been doing my best to alter all my baking to paleo or keto with no sugar, no salt, and maintain low carbs for my parents and myself.
It's nice to have those special treats every now and than and I really miss having that hot dog bun. And truthfully I don't enjoy consuming white flour anymore.
I appreciate any advice and thanks for sharing your recipe. I will be trying this out sometime this week.
Thank you for reaching out, I am happy to help. The ground golden flax seed is there to help reduce the carbs. You can substitute same amount of almond flour for the ground flax seed.
Yes you can definitely use butter instead of cream cheese but the dough I did that with my keto dinner rolls and they taste out of world.
Butter sure makes things taste good. Another great substitute to cream cheese would be sour cream. I haven’t used that yet but a reader said she had great success what that.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you try more of my recipes and also share them with family and friends.
Enjoy your paleo/keto/ low carb way of life. 💕 stay safe!
I tried your suggestion with the sour cream and that work out well too.
And I'm letting you know that my family, especially my mom and myself loved your hotdog buns! Even my grandma loved it! Did I mention my grandmas are difficult to keep their taste-buds content? Yes, I have two grandmas.
Otherwise I will continue to make these lovely hot buns when we or myself decide to have a hotdog meal.
Thank you, thank you Chichi and God bless you. These are amazing hotdog buns and were not difficult to make. I will certainly recommend your recipe with relatives and friends.
You stay safe and take care.
This comment made me smile. Not just because you enjoyed my hotdog bun recipe but because of your sweet relationship with your grandmas. Wow you still have both grandmas! They are a blessing enjoy them.
It’s very kind of you to share my recipes with your friends and relatives. That would be very helpful thank you very much.
God bless you too. Stay well and safe. 😊
And yes you can use unsalted butter
Thank you for your responses and suggestions. And I will definitely try out your dinner rolls too. I forgot to ask earlier from my previous comment. Do you have a keto hamburger bun recipe as well? Thank you again Chichi!
Yes I do have a burger bun recipe as well here it is
This can be made into buns too
If you like video recipes, I just started uploading videos weekly on my You tube channel and I would be happy if you subscribed to my channel. Link below
Can these be shaped and used for burger buns?
Yes they can. You can also try out my burger bun recipe below
I was only ableto find whole ground flaxseed meal, not golden flax seed will that work the same?
Yes you can but it might taste a little different. The whole ground flaxseed meal has a stronger nutty than the golden flax meal.
Which one can I use I got good grain flax seed meal and Ground flax seed? Also for cream cheese is one tablespoon half a ounce? thanks want to make it on saturday...
I used ground Golden flax seed, flax seed meal should work as well. For the cream cheese, yes 1 Tbsp is 1/2 an ounce. Let me know how it goes. Stay safe!
Okay thanks don't think there golden but will try them. Also any spices to make it have flavor? I don't have yeast is that okay?
It’s ok to make it without yeast. It will still taste delicious but won’t have the bread flavor yeast adds. You can top it off with everything bagel seasoning for additional Flavor. 😊 also a little garlic powder about 1/4 tsp will give it some garlic bread flavor
You are welcome ❤️
If you love video recipes, I’d love it if you subscribe to my YouTube channel and share with your Family and friends it’s free.
Thank you for support.
Please subscribe here⬇️
I’m excited to try this recipe. How long will these stay good without freezing? Can they be kept at room temperature? I would like to make these today for Saturday.
Depends on how warm
Your home is especially as it’s summer.
These can stay up to 2 days on the counter in a cool area in your house. If it’s too warm it may not stay that long.
But during the colder months, i have kept it for up to 5 days on the counter without any issues. Hope that helps. Stay safe!
I want to make these for when I go camping this weekend. Do they need to be refrigerated or are they good without it?
I haven’t left these out for more than 2 days. It was fine out on the counter but I don’t know how it will fare packed in a bag in this heat.
If you will be camping with an ice box, I would freeze it wrapped in cling film and aluminum foil then pack it along with the drinks in the ice box and try to eat it as soon as you can. Hope that helps. Stay safe!
Hello, could I use coconut flour instead ? adding much less? thanks for your answer
Did you mean swapping out the entire flour mix for coconut flour or just the ground flaxseed. It won’t work that way, but you can use my coconut flour fathead dough to make hotdog buns. It’s nut free and good makes great buns. Hope that answers your question. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions, I am happy to help. 😊
Get the coconut flour dough recipe here⬇️
thank you! I meant just the almond flour for less coconut flour , but I made the one you sent and they look and smell amazing, the just sank a little in the middle after taking them out, I saw how to fix that in your post soI'll try doing that next time. Thank you!
Ok I see! I haven’t tried swapping out the almond flour in this recipe. It would need a bit of testing especially as it might need more liquid. I am happy you tried out the coconut flour recipe. If it sunk a little in the middle, try adding more coconut flour next time. Thank you so much for your feedback, looking forward to you trying more of my recipes. Best of luck in your journey! Stay safe.
Made my hot dog buns for Labor Day last night. I used almond flour, ground flaxseed, tsp yeast, cream cheese, Colby jack and Monterey because I didn’t have mozzarella. It came out dark and heavy. Not sure if the cheese mattered but didn’t find result tasty or resembled the photos or video. Tossed the other three buns in the trash.
Sorry to hear this didn’t work out for you. I am happy to help you work out what could have gone wrong.
First. These buns aren’t as soft as the regular white flour buns we are used to it’s a bit dense but not heavy. This is a variation of fathead dough.
2. I haven’t used the combination of cheese you stated. I have always used mozzarella cheese.
3. Did you use baking powder as stated in the recipe?
These are the issues I think might have caused it. Let me know if any of these apply.
Holy smokes, this recipe is wonderful! I made "mummy dogs" for Halloween with crescent rolls for the carb eaters in my house, so I searched for a Keto recipe for hot dog buns so that I could have a hot dog along with everyone else, and honestly, I'm shocked at how tasty these are, its a dense bun (which I prefer anyway) but so delicious, thank you so much for this recipe.
Yay!! Happy you loved it. Thank you for taking out time to leave me a feedback you are amazing. Stay safe and well.
Just in case you want to make your own keto mummy dogs, you can use this dough https://www.chichiuguru.com/fathead-dough-the-best-low-carb-keto-dough/
I use it for my keto pigs in a blanket
Hello, I am so excited to make the Keto Hot Dog Buns, but I wanted to know if they were light and fluffy or dense?
These are more dense than light. However they taste amazing. Hope that helps. Happy new year 😊
My buns didnt go like yours 🙁
I dont know what happened 🥺
I used all the ingredients
Sorry your buns didn’t look like mine. I don’t know what could have gone wrong if you used the ingredients as stated. However I am more than happy to help you troubleshoot if you can give me more details as to what was different for example, was it texture, size, anything.
If you like, you can send me a picture via Instagram or Facebook messenger so I can take a look.
Can you use pizza cheese?