Mexican cauliflower rice is a delicious and great low carb alternative to Mexican rice. This yummy Mexican cauliflower rice skillet is easy to make, gets ready in 15 mins and is the perfect side dish for lunch or dinner.
A recipe that requires just a few ingredients is a win in my book and this recipe meets that criteria. Want to learn how to make the perfect keto Mexican cauliflower rice? Read along as this post will show you exactly how to make this recipe.Jump to Recipe
Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Cauliflower rice is one of my favorite side dishes on a low carb diet. It’s easy to make and is readily available either in the store bought riced form, the homemade riced form or in its head form.
This Mexican cauliflower rice skillet recipe is bursting with unique flavors. Loaded with onions, garlic, tomatoes and seasoning, this Mexican cauliflower rice should make an appearance in your menu for your next taco night.
What is Mexican Cauliflower Rice?
Mexican cauliflower rice is simply a low carb alternative to traditional Mexican rice but with less carbs.
A cup of cauliflower rice has 5g carbs, while a cup of white rice has 45g of carbs. See the huge difference. If you are looking on cutting down on carbs cauliflower rice in all forms is a great alternative to rice even if you are not on a keto diet.
Is Mexican Cauliflower Rice Keto? Is it healthy.
Oh yeah! Mexican cauliflower rice is keto and paleo friendly. It is healthy as well. You can never go wrong with extra veggies in your diet can you?
Even if you are eating this Mexican cauliflower rice as a way to incorporate more veggies into your meals personally or as family, you are on the right track.
Ingredients needed to make Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower rice from a head of cauliflower
- Olive oil , avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- Tomato paste
- Garlic powder
- Salt or Adobo seasoning
How to make Mexican Cauliflower Rice
This is just to give you an overview of the recipe. Full ingredients list and instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Traditionally, Mexican or spanish rice is made by toasting the rice in oil before cooking to produce some kind of nutty flavor. We would eliminate that step for this recipe ice we won't get same effect with toasting caulirice
Mexican cauliflower rice skillet is easy to make. All you need is your riced cauliflower ( fresh or frozen) Tomatoes ( fresh or paste form ) garlic, and the other ingredients listed above.
- Sauté onions in some olive oil, add the tomato paste and spices. Stir fry for about a Minute then add the riced cauliflower
- Stir to combine. Cook till cauliflower softens to your liking.
Can I use frozen Cauliflower to make Mexican cauliflower rice.
Frozen cauliflower can be used to make this recipe but I prefer to use fresh because I can control the texture of the Mexican cauliflower rice. It gives me a crispier cauliflower texture and that’s what I like.
If you are cooking with frozen cauliflower rice, I would suggest you let it thaw completely on the counter top or in the refrigerator probably overnight. Then drain with a colander do not squeeze.,
When you get to the stage to add the thawed cauliflower rice while cooking Mexican style cauliflower rice, add the cauliflower rice and cook till crisp.
How to serve Mexican Cauliflower rice skillet
Mexican Cauliflower skillet can be served as a side to a lot dishes
- Serve with chicken drumsticks, chicken wings or thighs. You can also serve with steak. If you are Vegan, serve with your choice of meat substitute like tofu.
- You can also serve with a slice or two slice of avocado.
- Serve with chicken fajitas
How to store Mexican Cauliflower Rice? Can you freeze it?
Good news. You can definitely make Mexican style cauliflower rice ahead. This recipe comes together pretty quickly so you may not need to make it ahead.
But if you must, or you are thinking of meal prep, you can make it ahead. It can keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Leftovers store well as well.
Other Cauliflower recipes you should try
Did you enjoy this recipe? Awesome! Share with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
To a healthy lifestyle,
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagramfor all the latest updates!
Nutrition per Serving: (makes 4 Servings)
Calories: 62 | Total Fat: 4g | Carbs: 6.4g | Fibre: 2.7g | Protein: 1.9g | Net Carbs: 3.7g
Click here to pin this Mexican Cauliflower recipe to your Pinterest board.
Mexican cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ of a small onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large head cauliflower (riced) or 1 lb frozen riced cauliflower.
- ½ tsp Salt or Adobo seasoning adjust to taste.
- Dilute tomato paste in 2 tablespoon of water and set aside.
- Sauté onions in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diluted tomato Paste, spice seasonings and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the riced cauliflower and cook for another minute and serve.
- If using frozen riced cauliflower, I would suggest you let it thaw then drain to reduce excess water. Alternatively you can thaw in agh microwave according to manufacturer's instructions then drain in a colander.
- You can garnish with cilantro or green onions and avocados
- You can substitute the salt or Adobo seasoning with chicken bouillon powder.
Leave a Reply